Every 5 seconds someone goes needlessly blind; Together we can change this Font Increase Font Decrease Text to black Normal Text
Profile of Swedish Mission Hospital

The Kugelberh couple were medical missionaries sent by the Swedish Mission to render medical service to poor and needy during the 20th century. During their tenure, the first mission hospital of Swedis Mission was established in Pattukkottai in 1904. The strong motivation and the aspiration of Dr. Frederick Kugelberg to serve the poorest population of the country resulted in the formation of a small eye hospital at Tirupattur of the then Ramanad district in 1909, which later took the form of a 250-bedded multi-speciality general hospital named ‘Swedish Mission Hospital’. This pioneering work of Dr. Kugelberg formed the basis for the institutionalisation of medical mission under the Tamil Evangelical Lutheran Church (TELC) and further to the formation of various health care services namely Joseph Eye Hospital -Tiruchirappalli, Moses Gnanabaram Eye Hosptial-Coimbatore, Lutheran Eye Hospital -Dharapuram and St’ Luke Eye Hospital-Virudhunagar across TN.

The hospital was closed down for a brief period (2002-2008) and revived with the support of Videocon Industries to provide sustainable health care services to the poor communities.


Milestones of SMH

1904 : The first mission hospital of SM was established in Pattukkottai of Tanjore district.

1909 : Eye hospital was established at Tirupattur by Dr. Frederick Kugelberg.

1921 : Dr. S Gurubatham, former Health Minister of Madras province, joined SMH and got trained under Dr. Frederick Kugelberg.

1926 : The nursing department and a nursing school was established at SMH that helped in the in-house promotion of qualified and dedicated human resource.

1949 : A full-fledged medical laboratory was established that helped in meeting the internal demand for quality laboratory tests and investigations. This unit had also served as a resource centre by rendering training to many students and deserving youths.

1950 : The Administration of SMH was transferred to the Church mission of TELC to be governed by the medical board of TELC.

1968 : A formal leprosy eradication program was started by SMH to provide medical and surgical treatment for leprosy affected people covering various villages in and around Tirupattur.

1990 : SMH was recognised by the government of TN under the ‘Operation Polio’ program, as one of the five centres in the state to provide a comprehensive treatment for polio.

1991: SMH launched Comprehensive Community Health Program that enabled SMH to cover more and more poor and needy people through HCs established for providing awareness, preventive and other health related services.

2008: The hospital renovation was launched with the support of Videocon Industries under the patronage of Hon’ble Shri.P.Chidambaram, Finance Minister of India

2014 : The renovated hospital was inaugurated by Hon’ble Shri.P.Chidambaram, Finance Minister of India, on 8th February.

Eye Care Services

Collaborating with the state and the central government’s blindness control programs, SMH efficiently blended its preventive and curative programs against various eye ailments. SMH had established separate unit to deal with the eye care needs of about 300 thousand people from about seven districts in the state of TN. It also provided training to the Ophthalmologists and Staff Nurses on mass cataract operations which were a noteworthy achievement. Under DBCS recognition the hospital has conducted screening camps and performed cataract surgeries for several thousands of people.

Currently the renovated SM hospital is poised to reach thousands of people who are needlessly blind due to cataract and other blinding diseases in collaboration with the NPCB through DBCS.

Wards and Operation Theater

The Hospital has the capacity to accommodate 100 patients; however 30 beds are earmarked for eye care (15 preoperative and 15 post operative). There are 6 private rooms available.

The Hospital has also got 4 beds in emergency department. Facilities are available for performing CPR.

Two operation theaters (each 400 sqft) with centralized HVAC and laminar airflow system with 0.3 micron HEPA filters available, with excellent design of unidirectional patient and material flow. (Please refer the layout drawing). The operation theaters are also equipped with UVGI (Ultra Violet Germicidal Irradiation) lamps.

Support facilities

Latest News...
  • application
  • application
  • application
  • application

Contact Us